"How do business schools and management-related university faculties develop a new generation of leaders who are equipped to handle some of the great, societal challanges such as increasing world population, climate change, scarcity of water, food and energy?"
This challange is introduced to students and lecturers at universities and business schools worldwide. The objective of the competition is to encourage students and lecturers in creating new courses based on the principles, values, and practices of sustainable development.
Higher education forms a unique link between knowledge
generation and transfer of knowledge to society for the entry of
future leaders into the labor market.
Thus, higher education plays a crucial role in turning the vision of a sustainable
future into reality.
If you are a student or lecturer representing a business school programme or management-related programme at a university, you are highly encouraged to participate in the PRME LEADERS+20 Competition.
In teams of students and a lecturer you participate by uploading a video of max 3 minutes together with a written entry of max 3 pages (PDF) demonstrating your team's suggestions as to how the leaders of tomorrow should be educated in order to face the grand challanges ahead.
The presentation of team entries should focus on new elements
based on the sustainability approach in existing courses or new
supplementary courses as part of existing education
programmes at business schools or management-related education at universities.
Entries should be presented both in writing and video.
- Written entry of max. 3 pages PDF or Word document
- Video entry of max. 3 minutes
- Clarification of the new approach might be ensured by attaching
the original course
Written entry should include a presentation of:
- information about the course in question (content),
- educational level at which the course is taught (BA or MA level),
- information about the students involved,
- information about the lecturers involved,
- teaching methods connected to the course, and
- form of examination employed in the course.
Video entry should include a presentation of:
- the general idea,
- team collaboration, and
- how sustainability aspects will be a part of the course
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 1 April 2012
1st Prize - The Rio Experience
- Funding for registration,- travel-, housing,- and living expenses going to Rio de Janeiro June 14-18 June 2012 (funding is equal to 13,000 Euro)*
- Attending the PRME Global Forum 14-15 June 2012 and engage in roundtable discussions of about 20 students**
- Attending the Rio+20 Corporate Sustainability Forum (Global Compact) 15-18 June 2012**
2nd Prize - The Danish Experience
- Funding for scholarships for
AU Summer University (equal to EUR
- BA level courses: 1) The Sustainable Company - a Scandinavian Perspective; and 2) Sustainable Development and Macroeconomics
- MA level course: Leading and Designing Organisations
- Funding for scholarships for ESSAM MBA Summer School (equal to EUR 4,300)*
- A visit to Maersk Copenhagen to hear about their sustainability activities
- A visit to the world renowned Renewable Energy
of Samsø to learn how to succeed with a political environmental plan. The visit includes a presentation by Søren Hermansen, Director of Samsø Energy Academy, who will speak on the topic of Using Sustainable Energy for Regional Development, the case of Samsø, the 'Energy Positive' Island.
- Special invitation to the Town Hall of Aarhus. The visit includes a presentation of Aarhus Municipality's framework conditions for the purpose of creating business growth for the cleantech group; Aarhus Municipality's own efforts within climate and sustainability; and Aarhus Municipality's efforts to motivate citizens and companies to act more sustainably.
- A full day tour to some of the leading companies, politicians
or industry experts in Denmark within the field of energy, climate
and environment. The tour is arranged by State of Green and
offers you the opportunity to experience Danish solutions live and
get a first-hand account of the lessons learned by Danish companies
institutions in terms of finding solutions to the challenges of both industry and society.
* The two prizes comprise to a fixed amount which the winning teams will have to split (e.g. the 1st prize amounts to EUR 13,000 and from that amount teams will have to finance travel,- living- and housing expenses going to and from and staying in Rio de Janeiro).
** The UN offers passes to maximum five team members from the winning team, including the lecturer, in connection with the UN forums in Rio (i.e. the 1st prize).